feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Norman Cuisine

Tags: , ,

My first night in Normandy, I decided to try some of the local cuisine as I have read much about it. Normandy is known for three things, Calvados, Cider, and Camembert cheese. I sat down in the restaurant and decided to opt for the Cider, because I wasn't in the mood for a French beer (I have never really heard of French beer, so you can imagine why I would opt for the cider instead).

I told the waiter I would like the Cider, and he asked if I wanted the big or small. When I am asked about a big or small beer at restaurants, the large is usually a pint and the small is usually about 10-12 ounces, so I figured the big cider would be fine. When he brought it to my table I was a bit uncertain what I just got myself into, as it was 75 dl (that's right, the size of a wine bottle). Thankfully the alcohol by volume was only 5%, so in reality 3.75 dl out of 75 dl of alcohol. It was super tasty, like the sweetest apple juice I have ever had, with fizz. I'd bring it home to share with all of you but it is probably listed as a banned substance by the TSA (that's my excuse anyway so I can keep it all to myself).

For the first course, I had an onion terrine. What is a terrine? It's basically a cold meatloaf as Julia Child would say. Alli wouldn't have let me order this had she been there, but she wasn't...so I did. It was amazing! I am guessing on the type of meat, but I imagine it was probably swine (possibly wild).

For the second course, I had a lapin stewed with carrots, onions, and finished with a lovely sauce. This was accompanied by a mound of fries. What is lapin? You might see one in your garden munching on your tulips or lilies, or lettuce if you have a vegetable garden. They like to hop. And they are delicious!

For the final course, I had a tart tatin. What is tart tatin? Only the most amazing apple dessert I have ever attacked (except of course for my wife's baking, that is much better). It came with some maple syrup drizzled over the top, and was warm enough to melt the scoop of cinnamon ice cream.

After all was said and done, I managed to go through three courses, plus 75 dl of fermented apple cider, and still manage to make it back to my B&B without causing an international incident. Every once in a while it makes sense to eat what the locals eat, and this time was no exception.

0 comments:

Post a Comment