feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Normandy Trip

Tags: ,

My trip to the various sights of D-Day was a sombering one. With each stop, I felt more and more saddened by the tremendous loss of life regardless of nationality. I started to the northwest and worked my way east as I stopped at the various sites. I began at the Sainte Mère Église cathedral. This is the place where the paratroopers landed after being blown slightly off course. The most famous was Private John Steele of the 505th Paratroop Infantry Regiment who landed on the spire of the cathedral and was basically a sitting duck for the Germans. He lived but most of his fellow paratroopers did not. If you look closely at the picture you will see a mannequin and parachute attached to the church steeple (although I have learned this isn't the correct corner where he 'landed').

I next stopped at Utah Beach, which was one of the major assault points during D-Day. All that remains now are a few remnants of the battle, including some bunkers and a museum with an antique tank, assault boat, and artillery. There are many monuments that also were erected as a dedication to the many men who lost their lives. Along the beach there were also men running horses on the sand (harness racing?)...it was an interesting contrast to what it must have been like in 1944. It was very peaceful watching the tide roll in, and I spent some time reflecting and praying for all of those involved.

I left Utah Beach and headed for the Pointe du Hoc Ranger memorial. This is a spot where the U.S. Army Rangers attacked the most heavily fortified German position along the coast of Normandy. This position was atop a cliff along the ocean and the Rangers had to scale the cliffs using rope ladders from their boats below. They lost the element of surprise as they initially arrived at the incorrect location, but eventually managed to secure the area which allowed further penetration on Omaha beach. The area was left pretty much exactly as it was when the fighting ended. There are many holes in the ground and concrete walls strewn about, as well as about a dozen or so German concrete bunkers still intact. The turrets used to turn the large artillery guns have since been removed, but it is very evident that this was a very strategic location to prevent the Joint Forces assault on Normandy.

From here I drove to Omaha beach, probably the most recognized beach of all of the D-Day sights. Unfortunately it was high tide so I was unable to see the metal strewn along the beaches, as well as the artificial harbors built to help protect the advancing Allied forces. Nevertheless this battlefield was a very moving experience and I can only say that the lump in my gut only grew larger the longer I stood and pondered the events of the war. There was also a memorial in the sands to commemorate the heroism of those who helped to liberate the French.

After leaving Omaha beach, I went to the American cemetary. I was not expecting to see the row after row of crosses and Stars of David. I have also had the honor of walking the hallowed grounds of Arlington National Cemetary, as well as various other military cemetaries across the U.S., but never have I found myself on the verge of tears so quickly than while walking through this one in France. The French government has given permanent use of the cemetary to the U.S., effectively creating U.S. soil in France. Say what you will about the French's attitude towards the United States, but the French I encountrered and the actions devoted towards remembering theAmerican sacrifice during the wars will forever cement a deep admiration for the French and the way they have honored our servicemen.

As you can imagine I needed to bail out of this area and go find something uplifting after this. I regret not seeing more of the sights, such as the British, Canadian, and German cemetaries, as well as the Caen Museum. Hopefully I will get a chance to go back and see more, but I hope that if you are reading this and happen to have some free time while in France or England, that you take a day or two and go see this place.

0 comments:

Post a Comment