feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monkey Business in Lausanne

Tags: , , ,

Many of you are aware of the Kombai of Papua New Guinea, many are not. Nevertheless, a few indigenous tribes in largely forested areas of the globe (e.g. the rain forest) such as the Kombai live in the trees to aid in their protection as they are very much primitive by modern societal standards. However, it is thought that very few of these tribes remain today due to the rapid advancement of technology and socialization of these previously isolated tribes. This has led to the virtual annihilation of previously established ways of living across the globe. It would be extremely unlikely to encounter any society like this outside of the remote jungles of the Pacific Rim, and the Rainforests of Central and South America.

Until today...

During a walk I noticed a peculiar site in the trees above Lausanne. At first, my peripheral vision noticed what was instinctively passed off as some type of bird (I am normally ambivalent towards birds as I both enjoy the site of soaring eagles and hawks, but wish to eradicate every pigeon after receiving a "blessing" from one in Venice) but soon proved to be something much more. As I approached, I noticed the density of the flock was much larger than expected, as were the size of the birds...In fact, I quickly established that these were not birds at all, but men! It appears I have discovered a modern, urban tribe of tree dwellers, right here in Lausanne, Switzerland. Surely I will be awarded something by the scientific community for my discovery. I decided to keep my distance for fear of spreading disease or corrupting their primitive way of life, but I was able to snap a few pictures without alerting them to my presence.

I only hope that someday we can study these individuals up close and learn from their peculiar tree grooming habits. They appear to be somewhat advanced in the manufacturing of plastics and the use of ropes and harnesses, truly a marvel. Their survival is obviously dependent on their ability to remain in the trees without falling the tens of feet to their certain doom. As time progresses, it will soon be evident what their purpose here in Lausanne is, as well as how they maintain their lifestyle in spite of the preponderance of societal advancement around them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment