feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Interesting Shopping Experience in Interlaken

Tags: , ,

Our friends Katie and Tom will be more amused by this than anyone else, but I thought I'd share nonetheless. After spending Saturday afternoon in Grindewald, we drove back to Lausanne stopping briefly in Interlaken, a pretty little Swiss town on a lake. The very first thing that caught my eye was Hooters Restaurant (yes, they have great hot wings according to my secret informants in Kalamazoo, MI). Alli refused to let me go in (she claimed she didn't want me to eat the skin on the wings...yea, that's what she's worried about), although she said I could get a bucket of wings to go if they were really that good (the only catch being I couldn't eat any in the car and couldn't reheat them once we were home...wives are sometimes too smart for their own good). Perhaps I will take a day trip up there one of these days for lunch.


On to my story...our friends Katie and Tom regaled us with tales of a magical store they frequent in Germany. This store is a coffee shop. But unlike normal coffee shops which sell just coffee (or in some cases muffins, mugs, and the occasional t-shirt or CD), this place sells much more. The store is called Tchibo (I think it's pronounced Ta-shee-bo, but I could be wrong...) and is a German creation. You can read all you want on their corporate website, but basically every month they completely change what they are selling. Katie has shown us many of the things she purchased, so even though we were unable to visit the local Bamberg Tchibo on our visit, we knew we'd have to go someday. Well as luck would have it there is a Tchibo in Interlaken, and I immediately recognized it.

We passed on the coffee, but both of us managed to find some deals. Alli found a nice fleece pullover discounted to 15 CHF (down from 40 CHF) and I found one of those neck warming things for skiing for 7 CHF (we were very excited about our deals as things in Switzerland are never cheap, nor are they on sale). Tchibo had many kitchen items as well at reasonable prices (knives, pillows, kitchen scale, pj's, gadgets, etc.). It is an interesting store to say the least, but definitely worth stopping in for a look (it kind of reminds me of a Crate and Barrel mixed with Starbucks, except affordable, well-lit, and without the creepy guy reciting poetry).

1 comments:
gravatar
Anne said...
January 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM  

Alli probably did you a favor by not letting you go into Hooters. The wings in Shanghai's Hooters had so much grease they were almost a soup. You also got to avoid the awkward moment of having your wife take pictures of you with the waitresses to show her friends and family how well you have adjusted to your new home.
-Bill

Post a Comment