feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thanksgiving in Switzerland

Tags: ,

Tonight, we will join a multitude of displaced Americans at a local Pizzeria to celebrate Thanksgiving. I am not quite sure what to expect other than the absence of our family and friends. I have been informed that it will contain turkey and all of the trimmings, but I will bring my camera just in case to document any unfortunate misunderstandings of the types of food which are acceptable at the Thanksgiving table. I don't hold high hopes for pumpkin pie, apple pie, or any other kind of pie (pie doesn't seem to be a favorite of Europe), nor do I expect to see the standard canned cranberry which so easily slides out of the can and onto a plate for slicing (this, Alli will be thankful for...me, not so much).

Regardless of the meal I have much to be thankful for this year. Although I wish I could see all of our families and friends to share this holiday in person, I am thankful that we are able to celebrate this holiday with you if only in spirit. I am thankful I won't be subject to watching the Lions lose for the sixth Thanksgiving in a row, and I am thankful for not having to arbitrate who has to wash the dishes after dinner (I say, if you cooked anything you are off dish duty...this includes opening the can of cranberry and putting it on a plate). I am also thankful for the internet as I won't have to wake up at 4 am to go wrestle the last Nintendo Wii away from some kid on crutches (you know who you are Timmy), and instead can do my shopping online from the comfort of my couch (actually, everyone is getting Swiss chocolate and pocket knives, I got a good deal from a cow in the Alps).

I am thankful for a supportive wife who has blessed me with the opportunity to refocus on what is important in my life, and giving me the chance to travel to places I've never imagined. I am thankful for ice cubes, affordable cuts of meat, college football (not soccer!), Costco, friends that speak English, Lutherans, my dog, and the ability to communicate electronically or over the phone with our family back home. I am thankful we are in a neutral country that doesn't appear to be the target of hostility towards Americans (aside from the contempt of not speaking perfect French), as well as for the knowledge that the U.S.A. is the best place on Earth to live!

In all seriousness, I am thankful for my wife, my family, my friends, as well as the great fortune I've had in life. I have been able to experience so much and yet there is so much more to see and do. I pray that God will continue to bless me and my family (and friends) with His love, and that those who don't know this love will feel it someday. I am thankful for all of the gifts I have been given, and I am thankful that I have been able to share some of this experience in Switzerland with all of you out there on the internet.

So when you are loosening your belt a couple notches later today, and after you've woken up from your deep fried turkey with gravy, stuffing, cranberry, bean casserole, yam, pumpkin pie, Diet Coke (I am aware of the irony) coma; think of the two lonely Americans sitting in a Pizzeria in Switzerland and be thankful you don't have to try and describe to a waiter in French that you would like plain tap water, not the pricey bottled water, but you don't want to have to keep asking for refills (and would it kill them to put more than two ice cubes in the glass)...and give thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment