feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Unexpected Turn of Events

Tags: , , , ,

I received a very disturbing letter from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency today.  Apparently, as a result of my violation of bringing excess foreign beef into Switzerland, I will have a hearing to determine whether or not I can be allowed back into the United States (most likely just a significant fine).  Alli will fly to the U.S. next week on my behalf to discuss this matter (part of my trial indicates I remain in Switzerland until the matter is resolved).  I find this interesting as I was able to come back for Christmas, but apparently the new administration has issued new rulings in conjunction with its crackdown on foreign tax evasion.  The new administration determined if the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency improved its methods, the revenue generated from the taxing of imported goods (specifically from tourists and expatriates) would generate a significant windfall to help decrease the projected deficit (the letter discusses how as much as $375 million dollars in unenforced duties and taxes go uncollected each year at our Nations points of entry).  The administration also acknowledged the capability of fining U.S. citizens found guilty of violations in other countries when traveling under the guise and auspices of a U.S. Passport or Government Visa.  I will provide more details to this situation as soon as Alli returns from the U.S.

1 comments:
gravatar
Jennipher said...
April 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

Believe it or not, I actually fell for this......until I remembered the date.

Post a Comment